Hjørdis Schooner Captain Opportunity
Work alongside North House staff and volunteers to run a collaborative and dynamic program on the “floating classroom.” We’re hiring a Captain to sail Hjørdis on 2-hour excursions departing from the dock at North House.
The 42’ steel gaff-rigged schooner Hjordis is an important resource for North House Folk School, serving as an inspiring visual icon, a dynamic floating classroom, and an important program resource. Weather pending, Hjordis takes up to 6 passengers and 1 crew for 2-hour sailing excursions on Lake Superior.
The Captain will work alongside North House Folk School staff and volunteer crew to ensure passenger safety and comfort, help manage the care and operation of the schooner in addition to advancing the mission of North House Folk School. The Captain is a seasonal contract position for the entire duration or a portion of the time from May 15th to October 1st. Housing is not provided; North House will assist the Captain in pursuing suitable lodging.
Daily Management of Schooner Hjordis
- actively steer and sail the boat with the help of volunteer crew
- participant safety and comfort, “dock talk” & liability waiver management
- assess weather and cancel sails when conditions necessitate
- educate passengers about sailing and Lake Superior as well as interpret North House Folk School’s mission
- conduct pre/post sail schooner system checks and routine maintenance
- manage participant log for sunset/full moon outings
Coordination with North House staff & other Captains
- assist with pre/post-season maintenance
- participate in monthly meetings
- coordinate sailing schedules and maintenance needs with North House staff
Collaboration with Sailing Interns and Volunteer Deckhands
- work cooperatively with interns and deckhands, providing training and coaching
- assist with pre-season training session and ongoing refreshers when possible
Skills and Qualifications
- U.S. Coast Guard OUPV license on Great Lakes and Inland Waters or the equivalent
- significant experience with sailing in general and preferably experience on Lake Superior
- background in education and working with the public
All crew members must be willing to undergo a background check and drug testing in compliance with U.S. Coast Guard regulations.
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and three professional references to Matt Nesheim (firstname.lastname@example.org).