Donate now to see your gift doubled through the end of the year
Take advantage of a $40,000 year-end donation match to double your support. Looking for more reasons? As part of our 20th Anniversary, we've put together 20 reasons to donate today. And as always, your donation automatically makes you a member of North House Folk School.
Future of Craft
- Your support has opened the door of North House for 49 interns since 1997.
- 9+ interns are actively involved at North House as instructors and staff.
- Past interns are business owners, instructors, full-time artisans, and continue to invest in the North House community.
- In 2017, we received 70+ inquiries for our 10-month education internship.
- Youth programming and community collaborations engage students of all ages in Cook County schools or in homeschooling.
- All Cook County youth in grades 3-5 participate in a curriculum-integrated program at North House.
- “I was so warmly welcomed into this family, and those relationships have been with me this whole time.” - Kristin, 2000 intern and current Cook County resident
Spirit of Community
- In 2017 we hosted 25,000 people at our three signature events, seven thematic weekends, and countless public programs.
- “I built my confidence so that I feel more comfortable trying this work on my own at home. I feel more part of a community of fiber artists and wool lovers.” - Raw Felted Fleece student
- 23 volunteers joined us for our 2017 Service Learning Weekend and donated 235 hours.
- 29 week-long work study volunteers come to North House during the summer months to ensure campus stays sparkling.
- In 2017, we hosted 13 instructor-in-residences, who taught mini-courses and engaged in hands-on demonstrations with the public.
Quality coursework & instructors
- 58 instructors participated in the third annual instructor retreat in 2017.
- Instructors come from 17 states and 2 countries, while students from 48 states and 6 countries benefit from learning in our quality classrooms.
- “North House and my instructor made me feel right at home and made me want to come back for other classes. I felt like part of a community, not just another student.” - Build Thoreau’s cabin student
- North House facilities have grown to include 10 classrooms.
- Since 1997, we have grown from offering 23 courses to 400 courses in 13 teaching themes in 2017.
- Students and instructors come together to build community around our wood-fired pizza oven - 40+ pizza bakes happen each year, that’s about 1,500 pizzas shared on the harbor!
- 2,400 students of all skill levels dig into coursework each year.
- You, as part of the North House community, have fueled North House’s dynamic mission for 20 years!
Help us to enrich lives and build community
Invest in the spark of community and craft as we launch into our third decade. Your gift makes our mission happen! Donate today, and you will automatically become a member. To thank you for your involvement, you will receive the following as part of your membership:
- Early Members’ Registration Day
- Each of our two annual course catalogs
- Our printed members newsletter, Shavings
- Our Annual Report
- Event passes during special events weekends (donors at or above $50 level qualify for passes for all family members)
- Special announcements, invitations, and more
We are a 501(c)3 nonprofit - your contribution is tax deductible!
If you're not already a member, your donation automatically makes you one.
If you'd like to make regular, monthly donations, please contact our Development Manager, Kaitlyn Bohlin, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (218) 387-9762.