The flagship of the Grand Marais Harbor, Hjørdis is named after the mythical Norse goddess of war. Take a trip on this 50’ traditionally-rigged steel schooner and gain access to both the largest lake in the world and experience Grand Marais as it was approached in the centuries before Highway 61 — from the water.
The 2018 sailing season is over! Check back in May 2019 for our summer schedule!
Reservations can be made online up to one hour before the scheduled sail. Beyond that, call North House for availability. Per Coast Guard regulations, we can accommodate up to 6 guests per sail. Regardless of age (2 months old to 102 years old), each passenger counts towards our 6 guest limit, and therefore must be registered.
Each sail requires a minimum of 3 guests. If the minimum number of guests is not met, the captain may cancel that sail. Alternatively, if two passengers are registered and arrive to find that the minimum number of guests has not been met, they may each pay an extra $10 to make the sail happen.
A credit card is required at the time of your reservation. Your credit card will be authorized at the time of your purchase, and then charged automatically on the day of your sail. If you do not cancel your reservation more than 48 hours in advance of your scheduled sail, and the schooner heads out, your card will be charged the full amount. You can pay in cash upon check-in if you prefer.
Our captains reserve the right to cancel a sail due to weather, equipment failure, or failure to meet the minimum number of guests. If we do cancel a sail, your card will not be charged. We will do our best to notify you ahead of time that your sail is cancelled, if possible, by phone and email. If you do not get a call from us, assume that your sail is going ahead as scheduled.
Check-in and What to Bring
- Please arrive 15 minutes before your sail is scheduled to depart. Check in at the Yellow Building (School Store).
- Please dress warmly--out on the lake, the temperature is usually 10 degrees cooler than on land. Dress in layers and bring a jacket. Sunglasses, a winter hat, mittens, and scarf are recommended.
- You are welcome to bring snacks or beverages along. Water is a great idea.
- If you are bringing a young person who weighs less than 50 lbs, you will need to provide your own PFD.
- Dogs do not make good crew members, and are therefore not allowed on the schooner.
Our regular courses provide another great way to experience the Hjørdis while building your sailing skills. Our array of sailing classes range from navigation to ropework, basic sailing to multi-day sail training trips to the Apostle Islands and Isle Royale.
Youth Sailing Program
We also have a Youth Sailing Program, providing learning opportunities and involving youth in everyday operations of the Hjørdis. See our Community Programs page for more information.