Basic Timber Framing
Learn the planning, layout, and joinery necessary to construct a traditional timber frame (post and beam) structure, such as North House's blacksmith shop, bread oven shelter, fish house classroom, and other structures around campus. The course begins with the basic mortise and tenon joint, and then expands on these techniques to cover through-tenons, shouldered mortises, and scarf-joinery. In both classroom sessions and hands-on experiences, you will explore the use of traditional tools and techniques of timber framing as well as adaptations using common and specialized modern tools. We will also discuss foundations, enclosing the frame, wiring and plumbing issues, and basic frame and joinery design. The course culminates with the raising of a full-sized timber frame completed by the group on the final day of class.
You will need the following tools for this class:
There are no required tools for this class, but we strongly suggest
- 1 1/2 inch chisel: you will need a chisel with at least a 5” blade. The Stanley "Contractor Grade" and Buck Brothers are less expensive options. Woodcraft and Sorby make good framing chisels, but make sure they measure exactly 1 1/2". The Barr chisel is an excellent tool and will be available at the North House School Store.
- Mallet: with a wood handled chisel you will want a 20 to 40 oz. mallet with wood, plastic or rawhide head. (Also available @ North House School Store)
- Ear and eye protection: available to borrow, but you may prefer your own for comfort.
North House has a limited number of chisels and mallets available to borrow; please note that you'd like to borrow tools in your order notes at the time of registration.
- framing square
- combination square
- tape measure
- circular saw with sharp blade (thin kerf blades work well)
- extension cord
- hand saw (Japanese pull saws with both crosscut and rip teeth work well)
- corner chisel
Once registered, students will receive a confirmation email with further class information. Please call us if you haven't received it within 24 hours.