Understanding the Nuances of the Drawknife with Curtis Buchanan
Aired on Thu, Mar 11 at 6:00pm
Chairmaker Curtis Buchanan will discuss this essential woodworking tool in-depth, covering what to look for and how to refurbish an old drawknife, the advantages/disadvantages of a bevel up and a bevel down drawknife, and how to use a drawknife to shape a chair spindle.
Curtis Buchanan makes Windsor Chairs in much the same way they were made 200 years ago. His small, one-man shop is located in Tennessee, in the heart of Jonesborough’s Historic District. He has published numerous articles on chairmaking and has taught at numerous craft schools. His chairs are in the permanent collection of the Tennessee State Museum, the Southern Highlands Craft Guild, the Tennessee State Governor’s Mansion and Monticello, the home of Thomas Jefferson.
- Video: Stories from the Beginning: Celebrating 25 Years of North House
- Webinar: 2022 Members’ Gathering & Annual Meeting
- Webinar: The Knife Became a Comrade: The Craft Journey of Magnus Sundelin
- Webinar: The Spirit of Japanese Carpentry
- Webinar: Crafting Off the Grid: Nurturing Community at the Maine Coast Craft School