The Sami Reindeer People of Alaska
Aired on Thu, Nov 12 at 7:00pm
In 1894 and 1898, numerous Sami reindeer herding families were hired by the U.S. government to travel from northern Norway to western Alaska to teach reindeer husbandry to Native Yupik and Inupiat Alaskans in order to establish greater food security for them. Nathan Muus and Marlene Wisuri from the Sami Cultural Center of North America will present an overview of this little known and fascinating chapter of American history using historic photos and narrative.
- Webinar: 2023 Members’ Gathering and Annual Meeting
- Webinar: Stories from the Blacksmith Shop at Sätergläntan
- Webinar: Stories from the Woodshop at Sätergläntan Lecture
- Webinar: Stories from the Textile Program at Sätergläntan with Johanna Runbäck and Susana Ayton
- Video: Stories from the Beginning: Celebrating 25 Years of North House