Timbered Sawhorse Trestles
Instructor: Clark Bremer
Whether they are built for the workshop or used to support a tabletop or workbench, timbered sawhorse trestles are reliable, sturdy and reflective of the craftsmanship that goes into timber framing. During this course, you'll focus on the layout and cutting of the mortise and tenon joints needed to create a timbered sawhorse. You will create a pair of trestles made of 6”x 6" timbers that are 3 or 4 feet wide. This class is a great introduction to the basic techniques used in traditional timber framing. Students will have the opportunity to try out professional-grade timber framing tools, as well as learn to use a variety of traditional hand tools. Materials fee includes a light dinner during the first night of class.
Fri, Jan 18th, 2019 – Sun, Jan 20th, 2019
Length: 2½ Days
Skill Levels: Beginner
Hours: Day 1: 5pm-9pm; Days 2 & 3: 9am-5pm
Registration Cost: $345.00
Includes materials fee of $145.00
You will need the following tools for this class:
- tape measure
- carpenter's pencil
- eye protection (available for purchase @ North House School Store)
- 1-1/2” Framing Chisel. Barr makes a great framing chisel, and these are available for purchase at the School Store (see below). Woodcraft and Sorby both make a suitable chisel as well. The standard bench chisels available at the local hardware store are not long enough for this type of work. The school and the instructor both have chisels that you can borrow for the class.
- Heavy duty carving mallet. Again, the school has mallets you may use and purchase, but if you want to get your own, look for a 20-40 oz mallet with a wood, rawhide, or plastic head. Urethane mallets are excellent.
- Marking knife. Anything from a swiss army knife to carpet or utility knife will work. (may be available @ School Store)
- Ear Protection (may be available for purchase @ North House School Store)
- Combination Square
- framing square
- 1/2” drill
- Hand saw – Japanese pull saws are very useful
Once registered, students will receive a confirmation email with further class information. Please call us if you haven't received it within 24 hours.