Seeing the Forest and the Trees: Exploring your Local Tree Canopy Online Course
Find creativity, calm and inspiration exploring the trees you walk by every day. Trees are amazing connectors, and they have a lot to teach us. Explore how our intimate relationship with trees starts with our breath and connects us to the past, present and future in surprising ways. Build a new appreciation and knowledge of trees through the lens of creativity and observational drawing. We will work with the five senses to observe, record and share about trees growing nearby us, learn some of the ways trees are grouped into families, and explore artists and naturalists who exemplify the many ways of knowing plants.
This course is open to families participating together, and the tuition price is per device so a parent/child group can pay one tuition and join together from the same computer.
Students will need a reliable internet connection and a laptop/tablet with video capabilities to participate in this course.
In addition, please gather:
- Pencil (plain #2 sharpened is fine)
- Assortment of “tree treasures”: leaves, cones, fruits, evergreen boughs you find outside your door (select a few items to share for the first class if possible)
- The instructor will email everyone a Downloadable Naturalist Notebook to printout before class (plain paper will also work)
- Black ink pen (Instructor recommends Uni-Ball Vision)
- Polymer eraser (Instructor recommends Pentel Hi-Polymer)
- Magnifying glass, hand lens or loupe