Rosemaling: Os Style
Rosemaling means "rose painting" in Norwegian, and is done in many styles reflective of specific regions in Norway. The Os region in western coastal Norway is known for its fanciful flowers and bright colors, making it quite different from many of the other styles of rosemaling. In this course you'll study and practice basic techniques of this traditional decorative painting style. Plenty of one-on-one instruction is provided. Students interested in building a solid base of skills are encouraged to register for the optional fourth day of instruction for $50 (please sign up in advance by calling us at (218) 387-9762). Some rosemaling experience recommended; see Telemark or Valdres courses for beginning levels.
Includes materials fee of $40.00
You will need the following tools for this class:
The instructors will provide paints, other incidental supplies, and a class project such as a plate, mirror or other woodenware item for your use. The following are the only requred tools
1. Notebook and pen
2. A paint shirt
3. LOEW CORNELL BRUSHES: Series 7500 ( # 2 and #4 filbert) AND Series 7050 (#1 liner): available for purchase from the instructor for $15-$20 or bring your own.
All of the supplies below are provided as part of the materials fee, but you are welcome to bring your own, as these are supplies you would need to purchase to pursue painting on your own.
1. Palette paper (for mixing paints)
2. Palette knife
3. Paper towels (lint free)
4. Walnut alkyd medium- available from Vesterheim Museum (www.vesterheim.org)
5. Odorless paint thinner or brush cleaner – available at local hardware store
6. Tracing paper (also available at Vesterhiem or at Micheal’s or Hobby Lobby)(for tracing designs)
7. Transfer paper (available at Vesterheim)( for transferring designs onto woodenware)
8. Liquid Dawn dishwashing soap and vaseline OR pink soap for cleaning brushes
9. Jar with cover for paint thinner
10. Saran wrap (for paint brushes and covering paints)
11. Artists Oil Paint Colors (Rembrandt brand reccommended by instructor)
Cadmium red light
Cadmium yellow light
Cadmium yellow deep
Crimson Lake or Alizarin Crimson
Once registered, students will receive a confirmation email with further class information. Please call us if you haven't received it within 24 hours.
The course Rosemaling: Os Style Fri, Aug 16th, 2019 – Sun, Aug 18th, 2019 is full.
Fill out the form below if you would like to be placed on a waiting list and notified if an opening becomes available. Full course details included above