Rosemaling Online Course: Os Project
Move from practice sheets to project in the Os style of rosemaling, which is full of welcome bright colors for the darkening days. Get started on this lovely plate and get your questions answered with Kim Garrett. Students are welcome to watch or paint-along as they prefer. For an Os refresher, see the morning offering.
You may also be interested in the Os-style refresher course in the morning of the same day.
You will need the following tools for this class:
A laptop or tablet is recommended, but a desktop with a webcam and audio or a smartphone phone can work. If using a tablet or laptop, plug your device in or have your charger handy! Be sure to have a strong internet connection.
Supplies for Os Plate Project
Most commonly used oil colors (Rembrandt brand unless otherwise noted)
Use professional grade NOT student grade paints
Os Style color palette:
- Titanium White Zinc white Thalo Blue (Grumbacher brand)
- Crimson Lake (Holbein brand) or Alizarin Crimson Ivory Black
- Cadmium Red light Cadmium Yellow light & dark English or Venetian Red
- For Background: Dark Victorian Teal by Delta Ceramcoat or other turquoise of your liking
- Walnut Alkyd Medium by M. Graham or boiled linseed oil
- Liquin Original (Nice for dots but not necessary)
- Paint thinner (I use Mona Lisa Brand but you can also use odorless thinner from hardware store)
- Brush cleaner: Dawn dish soap or Pink soap (or whatever you typically use)
- Lint free paper towels or garage towels
- Painters tape tape measure or ruler
- Pens/Pencils stylus
- Palette paper tracing paper transfer paper
- Brushes: Loew-Cornell or Winsor Newton are good
- Filberts: Size 2, 4, & 6
- Liners: King Art Original Gold 9000: Script or Mid-liner: size 1 (size 2 will work too)
Loew -Cornell and Winsor Newton are available at www.Jerrysartarama.com
King Art brushes are currently available only thru www.hofcraft.com. King art also makes shaders and filberts…
12 inch double beaded plate (usually available at www.Vikingwoodcraft.com or www.hofcraft.com). Vesterheim Museum’s Folkart store sometimes has them as well. You can also use a single outside beaded plate. Make sure the internal diameter is about 8 inches. Paint this a teal or turquoise color. I used dark Victorian teal by Delta Ceramcoat. You can also background the plate in black (some of the colors will have to be adjusted).
I would also paint a piece of poster board or cardboard for practice if you have not painted in the Os-style before
Once registered, students will receive a confirmation email with further class information. Please call us if you haven't received it within 24 hours.