Handwoven Wool Tote Bag
Design, weave, and sew your own custom wool tote bag, perfect for all of your north woods adventures. You’ll create a custom bag approximately 15” x 15” x 3”, woven with a basic twill structure. After designing and weaving their wool yardage, students will gain experience fulling their wool cloth to create a sturdy fabric for their tote bag construction. Students will also gain experience sewing with handwoven fabric. Bags will be lined with material purchased by the student, and handles will be sewn from the liner material, or optional leather handles can be purchased from the instructor for an additional fee of $20. There will be numerous options for customizing your creation, including the size, color, pattern choices, addition of pockets, straps/handles, etc. Students should have beginner-level experience warping a floor loom and weaving. Some sewing experience will also be helpful.
Students will need to register by January 1 in order to ensure their preferred yarn color selection. There will be several colorways from which to choose, and there will be additional colors available during class. Once registered, the instructor will contact students regarding the available color choices.
North House is looking forward to hosting this course on campus in the safest way possible. As recommended by our HVAC consultants, we have increased air ventilation and installed an air filtration system. We perform extra cleaning of campus and are keeping class sizes small in our largest classrooms. Students must participate in a daily health screening and temperature check, agree to wear a mask at all times on campus, and to practice social distancing of 6 feet, as well as adhere to other safety protocols in some cases. See the full details of our COVID-19 protocols here.
Includes materials fee of $70.00
You will need the following tools for this class:
- 1 yard liner fabric – quilting cotton weight or similar, and matching thread. Please wash the fabric to preshrink it, and press the fabric.
- Large bath towel
- Colored pencils
- Pins and pin cushion/magnet
- See-Thru Clear Plastic Ruler (for sewing)
- Flexible measuring tape
- Fabric marking pencil or pen
- Fabric cutting scissors
- Seam ripper
Note - If you cannot find some of the tools listed don’t worry – there will be some extra of all of these tools provided in the classroom to share.
- Sewing machines – If you own a portable sewing machine, bring it to class. Please test it before coming to class to know that it is in working order. Bring bobbins to fit your machine. We will be sewing very simple straight seams. If you do not own a sewing machine that you can bring, North House has a few machines. You will be welcome to use them and will be given basic instruction for their use.
- Travel Iron/travel press board
- Press cloth
Once registered, students will receive a confirmation email with further class information. Please call us if you haven't received it within 24 hours.