Fly Fishing the North Country in Prime Time
Early July marks the peak of northern Minnesota’s famous hexagenia mayfly hatch, a time when brook and rainbow trout readily rise to a dry fly on Minnesota’s designated streams and trout lakes. This course is scheduled to take full advantage of this fly-fishing opportunity. Beginners, as well as experienced fly fishers, will gain knowledge and skills that will improve their fly-fishing anywhere. Classes focus on equipment, understanding how fish see, hatches, fly selection, hooking and landing tips, stream ethics, and sources to continue your growth once you leave North House. Skill sessions will focus on casting for accuracy and distance, presentation of flies on still and moving water, knot tying, and fly tying. Students will tie some of the flies that they will use during evenings spent fishing local with lots of on-the-water personal instruction from the teachers. Course materials will include a kit containing leaders, tippet, flies, and other small items you need to enjoy this experience. Students will need waders, fly rod, fins and a float tube as well as other small personal items.
Students who do not own a float tube, fly rod/reel, waders or fins should contact one of the instructors to discuss using the limited amount of equipment available through North House. Note, evenings will be spent fishing lakes in remote areas of the Superior National Forest without cell phone reception and a long distance from emergency services. People with medical issues or other concerns about performing moderate exercise in remote areas should contact the instructors to discuss.
- Minnesota fishing license with trout stamp
- Fly rod and reel with matching floating line. (5-7 weight is recommended). Sink tip, intermediate sink and full sink lines are also recommended but not required.
- Stocking foot chest waders. If you have only waders with boots attached you will need to bring fins that fit over your boots.
- Float tube
- Pair if fins for the float tube
- Personal flotation device
- Fly tying equipment. (if you do not have fly tying equipment then tying equipment will be provided free of charge.
- Insect repellent.
- Polarized sunglasses
- Wading staff