Felting a Shirt or a Vest
In this course, students will work with guest instructor Mette Østman from Denmark and felt a shirt or a vest with the nuno felting technique, using a combination of fine merino wool and a woven textile such as silk or cotton gauze. Making very thin and delicate felt for wearables demands a large area of material since the shrinkage is big. In this class we will calculate for a shirt made to fit yourself. We will use a template that will be covered with the felting material. Then the felting is basically making the loose fibers blend into the fabric and shrink into the right dimensions.
- A materials fee of $80-120, depending on project choices, will be due at the conclusion of class.
- Towels of any size. Preferably old ones since they can be torn in smaller pieces if necessary.
- An apron
- If you have any felting tools, such as a palm washboard or felting mouse that you have experienced being useful, please bring that.
- Feel free to bring if you have textile for the base, felting wool or inspirational fibres for decoration.
- A worn pillow case, a piece of bed sheet, or tea towels can be useful, too.