Artisan Breads Immersion
Lace up your baking shoes and get ready for an artisan breads baking marathon. Combining the skills of our popular Artisan Breads I and II courses, this two-and-a-half-day intensive course allows students to dig deep into hand-crafted, long-fermented and hot-hearth baked breads. We’ll explore pre-ferments and a long cool rise to extract maximum flavor from the grains. You will practice skills and use techniques that will help you achieve consistency in your baking, shape beautiful artisan loaves, and fit baking into your busy life. Recipes will include pan au levain, ciabatta, boule, herbed flatbreads, pita and others. We will bake in North House Folk School’s wood-fired oven and you will learn how to create the hot-hearth experience in your home oven. Open to beginning and intermediate bakers, this course requires the ability to stand for periods of time, to knead dough by hand, and to walk to and from the teaching kitchen and the outdoor wood-fired oven. Artisan Breads I and II are not prerequisites for this course.
You will need the following tools for this class:
- 2 cloth or paper bags to take your bread home in
- **IMPORTANT** a bag lunch. The Oven and the Bread are in charge of our day. There is no guarantee there will be time to go out and get lunch. There won't be a formal dinner break, but you are welcome to snack as you need. Students are welcome to bring a bag dinner or snack for the evening session scheduled from 5-9 pm.
- one quart-size container with lid, if you want to take sourdough home
- bench knife/scaper
- electronic kitchen scale
- small coiled or wicker baskets (without handles)
- any favorite bread baking tool you would like to use during class.
Once registered, students will receive a confirmation email with further class information. Please call us if you haven't received it within 24 hours.