Swedish Folk Art Painting: Kurbits and Dala Horses
This class will explore the decorative arts of Northern Sweden from about 1700 to 1900; it will feature kurbits (big leaves) florals, wreaths, Dala horses, and interesting detail on these pieces. We will discuss some of the best designers of Swedish painting, Winter Carl Hanson, Jufwas Anders Ersson and other Swedish folk artists of their time. We will also talk about glazing, finishing and unusual techniques for surface decoration. Diane will demo all these designs and uses of different mediums. Paints for the class will be provided by Chroma, manufacturer of JoSonja paints and mediums. Experimentation and creative techniques will be explored and encouraged; how to achieve the Swedish look on your woodenware will be discussed. Diane likes to present the art of Northern Sweden in a fun, interesting way, including a look at the history of the art form and the decoration of the Dala horse and Swedish baskets with interesting and colorful detail. You could also slip in a tomte somewhere! Woodenware should be brought by the students; carved Dala horses can be ordered from the instructor after registration.
You will need the following tools for this class:
- Brushes: Loew Cornell 7500 Filberts Size 2, 4 and 6.
- LC 7350, Short liner size 1,
- LC 7050 longer liner Size 1
- (Instructor will bring some brushes if students want to purchase)
- Palette Knife
- 1” wash brush or sponge brushes
- Graphite paper, Black
- Tracing paper
- Styrofoam plates for palettes, or wet palette if you prefer
- Water Containers (2 Cool Whip are good)
- Wooden ware to adapt patterns to, Dala horse either flat or carved (or a plaque to paint them on)
- You can bring plates, boxes, plaques, unpainted or painted with any JoSonja colors listed below.
- Bread boards, etc. Fun things to adapt designs onto.
Paints will be provided but if you prefer to bring your own, please bring JoSonja Acrylic Gouache.
- White, Black, Sapphire, Norwegian Orange, Red Earth, Burnt Umber, Smoked Pearl, Yellow Oxide, Pine Green, Burnt Sienna. Clear Glaze, All Purpose Sealer, Kleister Medium, Weathered Wood, Varnish
Once registered, students will receive a confirmation email with further class information. Please call us if you haven't received it within 24 hours.