Scandinavian Style Rag Rug Techniques
Join us for a rich exploration of rag rug weaving techniques. Stripes, “pick & pick”, clasped weft, inlay & Rosepath represent the many weave structures open for experimentation. You will gain an understanding of how the sett can influence the design and structure. Each student will warp a loom, prepared the rags, and design a table runner and/or placemats to take home. Rag rug weaving in Minnesota will be discussed. Although not limited to the Scandinavian cultures, rag rugs have been an important skill/heritage within the Nordic cultures and remain important in the contemporary Nordic home to this day.
Students should have some experience weaving but need not have experience with rag rug weaving.
This course is part of Fiber Week! Plan to attend Fiber Friday, a new feature in 2020. On February 14, we’ll host a day of speakers, demonstrations, open studios and community gatherings free for all enrolled students. This popular model, borrowed from our Wood Week and Basket Week, allows students and instructors alike the opportunity to meet one another, expand their interests and enjoy our cozy campus learning atmosphere. Come early or stay late; you won’t want to miss Fiber Friday! Full schedule available in early 2020.
You will need the following tools for this class:
- Measuring Tape
- Weaving material: Bring washed fabrics that are alike. Cotton or cotton blend work best - bring several colors and 4-5 plus yards of uncut (new or used) sheets, old clothing, etc. Wool is possible to use but it is not advisable to mix types of fabric such as wool with cotton. Knit fabric (such as tee shirts) is also possible but not as easy to work with as woven fabric (and in most cases should not be mixed with woven fabric).
The carpet warp provided in the material fee will be a dark blue /charcoal color. But bring a variety of colors and look for different values (light & dark). If in doubt bring what you have.
- Calculator for warp calculations, pencil, paper for notes.
- Rotary cutter/mat/ruler - to cut rags
- Fraser cutter if you have access to one
- Sewing machine
- Shuttle - flat stick shuttle to use for rags.
Once registered, students will receive a confirmation email with further class information. Please call us if you haven't received it within 24 hours.