Rosemaling in Fiber: Dala Rooster Online Course
Explore the magic of needle felting with a delightful Dala rooster image and take your colorwork skills to a new level. Like the Dala horse, Dala roosters have been a Swedish icon for centuries and this course will take a new spin on the traditional wooden painted form by recreating the image in wool—inspired by a design created with Kim Garrett. In this course, students will learn how to stretch a felt backing onto an embroidery hoop and keep it tight for ease of use and how to transform the beautiful array of hand dyed roving from the instructor's farm’s sheep into your own interpretation of the project. Focus will be given to shape creation, colorwork to mimic rosemaling technique, and three-dimensionality. At the end, the instructor will offer suggestions for using or mounting your finished piece. Bring your creative spirit and love of wool!
The registration for this course closes two weeks prior to class so that the instructor will have time to mail out the project kits.
All students will be mailed a kit containing: 2 felting needles; Craft felt backing with transferred design; Ample wool to make the project such that any color could work in any of the design; Elements
Note: It is very important that each student supplies their own embroidery hoop as specified in the materials section below!
Students need to provide their own:
- Foam work surface (or request one from instructor for $6 extra)
- 8-inch embroidery hoop (8-inch size is critical)
- Laptop or tablet with reliable internet connection
- Reading glasses if you use them
- Needle felting multi-tool (or request one from instructor for $16 extra). Instructor contact info will be provided in your confirmation email if you'd like to purchase the multi-tool or foam to come with your kit.
Registration closes January 22 so that the instructor will have time to mail out materials.