Fly Fishing the North Shore: Fall Run Prep Session
Fall is an exciting time on the North Shore of Lake Superior. The leaves are gorgeous and the steelhead and salmon are just starting their spawning run. This class is for those who want to experience an intensive study of this amazing event and maximize their chances of catching mighty fish. We will start at North House Folk School each day for discussion, presentations, casting practice, and review. We will rig our fly rods and talk tactics. On the water, we will learn how to read the water, spot fish and how to hook and land these majestic creatures. We can accommodate all levels of experience, but feel that those just starting with fly casting might get frustrated without taking a casting class first. This course will fish Lake Superior tributaries.
North House is looking forward to hosting this course on campus in the safest way possible. Students will be asked to wear a mask at all times on campus, and to practice social distancing of 6 feet, as well as adhere to other safety protocols. See the full details of our COVID-19 protocols here.
You will need the following tools for this class:
- Minnesota fishing license (trout stamp required for ages 18-64; see regulations for other exceptions)
- Fly Rod and Reel (a 5 to 7 weight is a preferred weight for our fishing needs)
- Floating line (weight should match the size reel you have)
- Chest High Waders (the preferred waders are ones that require a separate pair of wading boots as
- opposed to the neoprene type of waders with the boots attached)
- Personal Floatation Device (PDF)
- warm layers; October can be chilly
- Wading staff, especially for those who have not done a lot of wading. This can be a simple staff of wood strong enough to take your weight with a simple wrist strap.
Once registered, students will receive a confirmation email with further class information. Please call us if you haven't received it within 24 hours.
The course Fly Fishing the North Shore: Fall Run Prep Session Sun, Oct 4th, 2020 – Wed, Oct 7th, 2020 is full.
Fill out the form below if you would like to be placed on a waiting list and notified if an opening becomes available. Full course details included above