Bird Carving: Online Course
This online course will introduce students to the world of bird carving. This is a great class for beginners and experienced carvers alike. We will focus on song birds commonly found in the sub-boreal forest of the Lake Superior region. Of course, each bird is different but the general form, anatomy, and carving techniques are transferable to many carving projects. In the course we will acquaint ourselves with bird anatomy to help develop an eye for the finished forms that we’re trying to achieve. Students will learn various knife grasps to effectively and safely shape wooden blanks. We will discuss material selection as well as tool sharpening so students can continue developing their skills beyond the class. The carved and painted details bring these carvings to life. We will discuss paint, painting techniques, and other finishing details along the way.
In order for the instructor to have enough time to mail student materials, registration for this course closes on January 1st.
This class meets online on three Friday afternoons, January 15th, 22nd, and 29th from 2-5 pm CT.
You will need the following tools for this class:
Each student will be mailed a set of three wooden blanks prepared by the instructor for use during class.
Additionally you will need:
- Mora carving knife either style 106 or 120, may be available through the North House online store- check here: https://northhouse.org/store/category/tools
- A small gouge set or a single small v-tool and gouge. One option for a set if you are looking to buy one is here: https://www.woodcraft.com/products/shinwa-full-size-carving-tool-set-5-piece
- An inexpensive set of paint brushes and acrylic paints (these won't be needed for the first class session so if you'd like to discuss paint options with the instructor before purchasing you will have time to do so).
- Laptop or tablet with reliable internet connection
- Straight bladed carving knife (this is handy for creating hard edges or undercutting feathers. One options is available here: 1-7SK 1 7/8" Straight Knife- https://occtools.com/wood-carving-knives/
- Kevlar glove for hand protection
Once registered, students will receive a confirmation email with further class information. Please call us if you haven't received it within 24 hours.
The course Bird Carving: Online Course Fri, Jan 15th, 2021 is full.
Fill out the form below if you would like to be placed on a waiting list and notified if an opening becomes available. Full course details included above