Dalmålning and Dala Horses (Swedish Folk Painting)
Swedish Folk Painting, often referred to as “dalmålning” actually consists of several different painting styles based on region, subject, and artist. In this course, we will discuss the style of northern Sweden known as Dalmålning or Kurbitsmaling. Then we’ll practice the basic painting techniques of this style by creating our own project. On days 2 & 3 we will discuss the history of the Dala horse and finish up by painting our own Dala horses. This course will be taught in both acrylics and oils. Students are encouraged to try painting with acrylics even if you usually paint in oils. No painting experience is needed. This course is open to students ages 12+ if accompanied by an adult, 16+ without.
A materials fee of $35 will be paid to instructor in class. Additional fee $20-35 for dala horse blanks. For those bringing their own supplies the materials fee will be adjusted.
- Paper & pen for taking notes
- Something to protect you clothing, like an old shirt or apron ( we can get messy)
- All materials needed to paint will be provided by the instructor. There will be basic supplies and paints for background painting available for everyone. The instructor will provide canvas for dalmålning project. There will be an additional fee for dala horse blank. The instructor will have brushes to use in class and for purchase. Brushes are not included in the class materials fee but are available for purchase if you want to take them home. The cost of brushes is approximately $20-35.
- Feel free to bring your favorite tools and whatever materials you might feel appropriate for this course.
- Palette paper
- Tracing paper
- Transfer paper
- Palette knife
- Dawn dish soap or pink soap for cleaning brushes
- Lint free paper towels
- Jar for paint thinner (for oil painting) paint thinner will be supplied by instructor
- Small container for water or oil painting medium- medium for oils will be supplied by instructor
- Walnut alkyd medium or boiled linseed oil if you wish to bring your own (for oils only)