Colors of Autumn Bead Embroidery
Autumn brings a riot of color to the landscape of the North Shore. This workshop is your opportunity to capture a bit of the season with beads. Each participant will bring an autumn image to inspire their design. From your image you will create a unique “bead painting” embroidered on felted wool (material provided). Your piece can be made into a pin for a wearable work of art, or framed for display. This workshop is for all skill levels. Bead artist Jo Wood says her goal is to demystify the basic materials and process of bead embroidery. You can learn the basics of beading on fabric or explore the possibilities of beads in your other needle arts. Jo will introduce you to her favorite techniques for “painting” with beads. While working with colors and textures, you will also learn some simple principles of composition, pattern transfer techniques, and ways to add depth and dimension to your work.
The use of beads has spanned cultures across the globe for more than 6000 years. Come join us for an enjoyable and relaxed creative experience and learn how this traditional needle art can be used for your future projects.
Jo Wood’s approach to ’painting with beads’ is a unique combination of tradition and innovation. Preview Jo’s bead embroidery style on her website by visiting www.jowoodbeads.com
North House is looking forward to hosting this course on campus in the safest way possible. Students will be asked to wear a mask at all times on campus, and to practice social distancing of 6 feet, as well as adhere to other safety protocols. See the full details of our COVID-19 protocols here.
This course has been cancelled to mitigate the risk of spreading COVID-19. We offer our deepest apologies. We truly believe in the power of craft to build community, and we know that community is needed more than ever in times like these. However, the need to stay healthy and protect our friends and neighbors is the most critical priority.
If you were registered for this class, you should have received an email regarding your refund options. If not, please call us at 218-387-9762 or email us at email@example.com.
We truly hope to see you in another class at North House soon!
You will need the following tools for this class:
- One inspirational autumn landscape image to use for your bead embroidery design. You can bring a few but you’ll have to choose one. A printed photograph, picture from a magazine, or drawing will do. Electronic images do not work well for this class.
- Beads- seed beads in size 10 to 15 . Bring 8 or more colors. Choose a variety of sizes and surface finishes (opaque, matte, transparent, silver-lined, etc.) that work with your landscape
- Scissors (small, sharp) (available for purchase @ North House School Store 888-387-9762)
- Reading glasses if you need them or magnification if that helps
- Bead tray or beading mat
- Samples of your needle art that you would like to share with the group
Feel free to bring your favorite tools and whatever materials you might feel appropriate for this course.
Once registered, students will receive a confirmation email with further class information. Please call us if you haven't received it within 24 hours.